Violettes Youth Composition Competition & Songwriter Contest
This entry was posted on August 17, 2016.
Violettes by Becky Presents
our 4rth Annual Youth Composition Competition & Songwriter Contest
Register now HERE. There is a $15 entry fee**. Send Score and MP-3 or You tube by Feb. 14, 2017 to RMChaffee1@comcast.net. (Registration after Dec. 31 goes up to $20) Note that you can register by paying early, but submit entry on Feb. deadline. Thank you.
There are separate categories for composition and songwriter entries. Each is divided into 2 age levels for judging and prizes. Thanks to sponsors Violettes by Becky for Gig bags and Cash, Board Member Bennye St. Claire for obtaining Songwriter Grand Prize TBA, Performers Music and Sheet Music Plus for Sheet Music Gift Certificates for prize donations. Thanks to all volunteer judges!
Bios for Composition and Songwriter Judges can be found HERE.
Judging Criteria for both Composition and Songwriter entries posted at bottom of this page.
Composition Theme: Being Me Now!
A song is sometimes the melody, sometimes the lyrics and sometimes the heart. However your song comes thru, let it fly. Share your reflections and introspection.
1. Entries must be amateur composers/songwriters who are ages 10 thru 18 on Feb. 14, 2017. For judging, Junior Division will be ages 10 thru 14 and, Senior Division will be ages 15 thru 18. (Students must still be in High School).
2. Compositions/Songs must be between two and five minutes in length.
3. Collaborative work accepted (partner must be in same age group). It will be the responsibility of the entry writer to divide the prize. No songs under professional contract may be entered.
4. Submissions must consist of a score, and an MP-3 (or MP-4 or Memory Stick) or video. For ages 10 thru 14, score is not required, but will be given more weight in judging.
5. Top 30 entries in each division will be judged by two independent professional musicians. Students of judges may not enter. (In the case of over 30 entries in a division, Violettes will use a committee to choose the top 30). Each student in top 30 will receive at least one feedback critique from judges.
6. Register to enter by Feb. 14, 2017. Registration after Dec. 31, 2016 goes up to $20. You can register and pay early, then send entry on deadline.
7. Compositions/Songs are due by February 14, 2017. Submit to Violettes "Contact us" email or RMChaffee1@comcast.net.
8. Winners will be announced on April 15, 2017.
9. Registering for the competition means that you agree that your work is original and that you hold all rights to the composition/song.
10. Entry constitutes permission to use winner's names, likenesses, and voices for future advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation.
11. Submission constitutes entrant's agreement to release, indemnify and hold harmless Violettes and judges from and against any claim, including, without limitation, of copyright infringement or other misappropriation, arising from any acts or omissions in connection with the contest or its operation.
12. If you are interviewed by the press as a result of this competition, you are required to tell the press, they must mention and thank the company, "ViolettesbyBecky.com, Gifts for Music Lovers" in the press release for the generous competition.
**If you can not afford the entry fee, we can waive your fee. Also, please note that this competition is a labor of love, and the fee does not begin to cover the labor involved. Support us if you can with purchase from Violettes by Becky. Everyone needs to give gifts. Thanks.
Please keep informed by signing up for the Violettes Newsletter.
Prizes for Composition & Songwriter Competition
Please try to patronize our wonderful sponsors.
* We especially thank our new Board Member, Bennye St. Claire who helped obtain songwriting judges and who is securing songwriter grand prize.
Bennye J. St.Claire - President - Texas Universal Management has been in the country music industry since 1976. He has worked with such artists as The Oak Ridge Boys, Eddie Raven, Gena Roberts-Hamilton (Country Gospel Singer), Gayla Earline (Gospel Singer), and others too many to mention. He has managed several up and coming vocalists. He also acts as a booking agent for South Bound Train, The Jason Helms Band, T.Kaye and Sweetfire and others.
Violettes by Becky is a creative company hiring visual artists and serving youth music programs. We sell musical-instrument-shaped purses and gig bags. Please support our work. Violin, Guitar and Piano and Ukulele Purses are unique gifts from www.ViolettesbyBecky.com. Fill them with concert tickets...Violin, Piano, Guitar and Ukulele Purses or Gig Bags make Awesome Gifts!
- Judging Criteria for the Compositions will include up to 5 points assigned to each of the following 3 categories: 1. Originality/Creativity, 2. Technical Proficiency 3. Orchestration and Overall Effectiveness
(Note that the majority of entries are entered on just one instrument).
- Judging Criteria for the Songwriter Competition
will include up to 5 points assigned to each of the following categories:
1. Emotional Impact, 2. Individuality and Creativity, 3. Meaningful Lyrics, 4. Melody
Points will be deducted for going over the 5 minute time limit for each entry.